Thursday, August 30, 2012

travel style.

I'm about to spend 3+ months traveling through three countries and two seasons, with nothing but a backpack to hold my possessions.  I'll be farming, playing tourist in some European cities, hiking through the back roads of Spain, and visiting friends.

Since I don't have much space and have to carry everything I'm taking with me on my back, I've had to get creative with packing, especially considering the many different environments in which I'll be living life.

[Side note, I felt a little silly posting about my travel wardrobe, but I do think this is somewhat worthwhile! It may seem superficial, but I have found that I explore my own creativity even more through practicing simplicity in all aspects of my life... even fashion.]


So here's what's in the pack!


My hiking pack, pre-packing! It's a women's Gregory Jade 38.
Hiking boots, 2 pairs of liner socks, 2 pairs of wool hiking socks, 1 pair of yoga pants, 1 pair of convertible hiking pants, rain jacket, fleece pullover, flannel shirt, quick-dry (and light weight) towel, sleeping bag, and 2 t-shirts.
brown boots for every day wear, 2 more pairs of socks, tights, 2 long-sleeve shirts, 1 cardigan, 1 knit beanie, 2 pairs of jeans.

1 knit sweater, ballet flats, 1 belt, umbrella, 2 knit skirts, 2 scarves, purse, 2 stuff-sacks with toiletries, first aid kit & other travel gear, 4 jars of powdered peanut butter (!), 1 bag of powdered soy milk.
Voila!
So that's that! I'm impressed with how much I pared down to just the essentials (I hope), but the boots and sleeping bag make it a little too much for just the backpack. I'll probably end up bringing a canvas tote to carry the boots and sleeping bag, unless I can find a way to attach them to my pack. That would be ideal!

Almost every item of clothing serves multiple purposes or can be worn multiple ways (ie. with different complementary pieces). Yay for diverse and pragmatic fashion!

3 comments:

Katie Van Drunen said...

Hi Morgan B! This is cute, I am excited to read about your adventures. Geoff and I are going hiking in Spain/Portugal next April/May. Mayhaps you can tell us where you're going to hike? Also, I loved your travel outfits! Looks challenging because 3 months is so long! and you are doing so many different types of things!

Morgan said...

Oooh fun! I'm hiking the Camino de Santiago, in northern Spain! It's 480 miles (yowza!) but it can easily be broken up into segments. And yes, I'm a little nervous about how little I'm bringing to wear... I'll have to get creative with accessories! :) We'll see how my clothes hold up after sweat and mud and many many washings... xo!

Kruka said...

CAN'T WAIT!!! You are doing a much better packing job than I am -- I've been packing, unpacking, and repacking my bag over and over again the last few days, with little additional success. :)